Thursday, May 5, 2016

Today, I was beautifully reminded of words I had forgotten:

"I am glad you are here."

This morning, I joined my friend Zoli for a few of the religion classes he teaches at the school. I had wanted to go (the kids are hilarious... Even when I don't understand everything that is being said), and I was happy to be there. As I was about to leave, he said "I'm glad you came!" I will admit that his kind statement surprised me but only because I often convince myself that I don't need to hear statements like these from those people with whom I interact. I responded with "I'm glad I came too!" This simple statement left me feeling loved and appreciated, and reminded me why I find relationships so important. 

Since then, I have been pondering what it would be like if we all said "I'm glad you are here" to those we encounter everyday, and to those who are different from us. How would our global conversations change if we verbally told each other how happy we are to see or meet one another? How would our world grow if we met each other with open minds and open hearts instead of fear and uncertainty? 

Here's what you need to know, dear friends:
I am thankful for the opportunity to know you and to have met you in this lifetime. Thank you for being exactly who you are. I am glad you are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment