Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tough Questions

As part of my work here in Hungary, I run an English table for any student who would like to practice speaking in English. Tonight, at our first meeting, I was pleasantly surprised to engage in a conversation with ten very bright high school students. I began our conversation with light topics, such as introductions, favorite colors, and hobbies. These topics are taken from the "get to know you" section in my bag of conversation topics. We covered things like playing handball and basketball, reading "Hunger Games," and playing "League of Legends" (it's a computer game, just in case you aren't aware). 

Half way through our hour together, I asked if they had any questions for me. I always allow the students to learn about me as well, as it is only fair. They asked the typical questions of "Where do you come from?" and "How do you like Hungary?" The next question, however, took me by surprise and turned a lighthearted and surface level conversation into something deep and complicated.

"What do you think about the Paris attacks and the Islamic State?" they asked.

For a moment, I panicked.
A million thoughts raced through my head. 

How do I answer this as an American? As a representative of the ELCA?
What is my opinion on the attacks around the world?
How much should I share?

Then I realized that they wanted to discuss these issues and we had created an opportunity to do so. I didn't know how to answer, so I did what I do best: I asked questions. I discovered they were more than willing to answer or at least share how they were feeling. That concept is difficult, and they were willing to speak about it in their second language.

We discussed the attack on Paris.

They learned about the attacks in Beirut and Baghdad.

We talked about how the media responded to these situations... to every situation.

We discussed fear after many had watched the most recent and horrific video released by ISIS. 

We contemplated what this means for the world and the actions some countries are taking. 

We shared thoughts on the refugee crisis and how the world is responding. 

I am constantly amazed by the thoughtfulness and intelligence of young people in our world. They ruminate on tough issues and when given the chance, they speak freely and intelligently. 

Friends, these teenagers are doing exactly what we all need to do. They are willing to have conversations about the issues we face as a world. They respectfully and patiently listen to what others want to say and they acknowledge the opinions of others. 










No comments:

Post a Comment